Saturday 28 January 2012

Imperial Winter Series Race 10 28th January 2012

We have been so spoilt this year with mild weather that today seemed exceptionally cold at about 5 º with a breeze from the North to propel us down the back straight and to slow us up to the finish.  The pace seemed altogether more sedate this week especially when working (or not)  into the wind.  We passed the 4th cats but just before they were getting ready to sprint for their finish.  As a consequence we all came over the line in a coagulated lump for their finish followed by some hairy moments as those still racing got apart from those who had finished.  Unluckily I punctured again this week though more luckily this time it was in the second lap, not the second to last.  I finally got to use one of the spare wheels I have been dutifully carrying to the hut.  I did spend most of the race at the back of the pack but at least this time I remained within the bunch until the finish.  From what I could see there was not a lot of activity off the front this week. 
I have a lot of catchup to do before March and time is starting to run out.
Thankfully no crashes today.  Must get onto Wiggle for new race tyres.
What a relief not to be blogging about my commuting dramas for a change.

Stats:  27.79 miles in 1h06m.  Average 25.3 mph.  Max 34.8 mph. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Martin,

    You could do a lot worse than these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/michelin-pro3-race-folding-road-tyre/ I've had mine on for 1500 miles and they've just started showing wear recently. Still amazing for cornering, whatever the conditions and speed.

    Today's race was definitely a day for hiding from the wind up the finishing straight!

    ReplyDelete